Enjoy a new twist on a traditional favorite. 2009 Recipe Contest Honorable Mention Recipe by Jill W.
1 19 oz. bag (3 1/2 cups) Pamela’s Bread and Flour Mix
- 1 TBSP margarine or canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion or leek
- 1/4 cup gluten-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup gluten-free whipped salad dressing or mayonnaise (regular or light)
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 TBSP corn starch
- 1 tsp dried dill weed
- dash hot sauce
- white pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded gluten-free soy cheese (cheddar or Monterey jack or mozzarella)
- 2 cans of gluten-free white albacore tuna, drained (5oz)
Preheat over to 350°. Prepare pie crust according to directions on Pamela's Bread and Flour Mix bag (see Easy Pie Crust). Prebake one half of the dough in a 9” pie pan for 15 minutes (freeze other half for another use).
In skillet over medium heat, sauté onion in margarine until softened, 5 minutes. Add broth and boil one minute. Set aside to cool slightly.
In bowl, whisk together mayo, milk, eggs, and corn starch until smooth. Stir in onion mixture, seasonings & cheese. Fold in tuna. Pour into pie shell and bake 35-40 minutes until filling is set. Shield edges of crust with foil it if becomes too brown.
Chef's Note: For years, mom and I had this luscious pie at least once a month. But after I could no longer eat wheat we didn’t make it for along time. Now that I can make gluten-free pie crust, we can enjoy one of our favorite dishes again. Leftovers (if there are any!) are just as good cold/room temperature as hot.