Indulge in this classic and creamy Clam Chowder. Try it plain or serve it in Pamela’s Crispy French Bread Bowl.
- 2 TBSP bacon drippings or vegetable oil
- 2 TBSP Pamela's Gluten-Free Bread Mix or All-Purpose Flour Artisan Blend
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 small cans minced or chopped clams (or 2 lbs fresh clams)
- 3 medium potatoes (peeled and cut in ½" dice)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cups clam juice, reserved from can or bottled clam nectar
- 1 cup cream or half and half
Fry bacon in large stock pot and remove, reserving bacon for another use. Remove all but 2 TBSP drippings.
Saute the onions and celery in oil until translucent.
Blend Pamela's Bread Mix or All-Purpose Flour with salt and pepper, and sprinkle over the veggie mixture. Stir for about 1 to 2 minutes. Add the clam juice and potatoes and cook until potatoes are cooked through, about 15 minutes. Add cream and clams and heat through, being careful not to boil the soup after adding the cream.
Chopped parsley is a nice addition to sprinkle on top.
Chef's Note: If using fresh clams you can steam over white wine until they pop open (discard any that don’t open), separate and discard the shells, adding clams and steaming liquid back in with the cream.
© Pamela's Products, Inc.