A fun Halloween treat. Use Pamela’s Chocolate Cake Mix or Pamela’s Classic Vanilla Cake Mix, or try the from-scratch cake recipe below, using our new Artisan Flour Blend.
- 2 cups Pamela’s Artisan Flour Blend
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- German sweet chocolate-4 oz bar
- 1/2 c. water
- 4 large eggs - separated
- 1 cup butter - softened
- 2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk Crumb Mice:
- 3 oz. cream cheese-softened
- 2 TBSP unsalted butter-softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 1/2 oz. semisweet chocolate-melted and cooled
- chocolate cake layers - still warm
- 4 oz. white chocolate
- 7 oz. bittersweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds for ears
- licorice whip or twists cut into three inch pieces for tails – We like Candy Tree Gluten Free Organic Licorice Twists. (Remember, many licorice products contain gluten so be sure to check the ingredients in advance.)
- red hots, silver dragees, or frosting for eyes
Preheat oven to 350°. Prep three 8” or 9" pans by lining bottoms with parchment, then spray pans with oil. Melt chocolate in water in double boiler (or bowl set over water in a pan), set aside. Mix Pamela’s Artisan Flour Blend, soda and salt. In bowl of stand mixer, blend butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add yolks, one at a time, beating after each. Add chocolate and vanilla and mix well. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately, beating after each until smooth. Whip egg whites in separate bowl until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into batter until combined. Divide evenly between pans. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until cakes springs back with a gentle touch in center. Cool for 15 minutes before turning out onto racks.
Beat together cream cheese, butter, 1/2 cup powdered sugar and melted chocolate. Crumble 1 1/2 layers into the bowl and mix well. Knead slightly and make oval shapes, forming the nose by thinning that area. Make about 3 dozen mice, arranging on wax paper lined baking sheet. Press a toothpick into the tail of each and refrigerate until firm, at least thirty minutes. In a separate bowl very finely crumb remaining cake. Heat remaining white and bittersweet chocolate together. Dip mice into melted chocolate and roll in fine crumbs. Press 2 pumpkin seeds into the head for ears and refrigerate until firm. Add tails and eyes.
Recipe adapted from Food & Wine Magazine.