This is an easy, delicious thick crust pizza.
- 1 cup warm (110°) water
- 1½ teaspoons yeast
- 1 (11 ounce) Pamela's Pizza Crust Mix
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup red pizza sauce
- 4 to 6 ounces grated cheese
- ½ cup halved olives
- 3 Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cooked and crumbled Italian sausage meat (from about 2 to 3 sausages)
- A few basil or spinach leaves, cut in chiffonade
FOR THE DOUGH
FOR THE TOPPINGS
- TO MAKE THE DOUGH: Combine warm water and yeast; set aside about five minutes to proof. In the bowl of an electric mixer with paddle attachment, combine Pizza Mix, cornmeal, and salt. Mix together oil and butter then add them to bowl of mixer along with the water and yeast; mix well until dough comes together.
- With a rubber or silicone spatula, gather dough into a ball in the bowl, oil surface of ball, and cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let rest in warm, draft-free spot until doubled in size, about one to two hours..
- Preheat oven to 450° with rack on top shelf. Cut a piece of parchment paper that will fit in the bottom of a 10 or 12-inch cast iron pan. Before putting parchment paper in pan, spray sides and bottom of pan with nonstick cooking spray, then place parchment round in pan and spray again or sprinkle with a little cornmeal. Turn dough out of bowl into prepared pan, and form crust by gently pressing dough to edges of pan. Allow crust to rest in pan sitting on top of preheating oven for about 15 to 30 minutes, until dough is starting to puff up a little..
- TO ADD TOPPINGS AND BAKE PIZZA: Lightly spread sauce on dough, distribute tomatoes across the pizza, add sausage and olives, then top with cheese. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes until pizza is bubbling and crust is browned. Let rest in pan 5 minutes, then remove pizza to wire rack to cool for 5 more minutes before cutting. Just before cutting sprinkle the basil or spinach chiffonade over the pizza.
© Pamela's Products, Inc.
Note: You will need a 10 or 12-inch cast iron pan for this recipe.