A festive tart made with a crisp gluten-free crust filled with a luscious cashew-coconut milk cream filling, topped with seasonal berries. Recipe and photo courtesy of Cafe Johnsonia.
- 1½ cups Pamela's All-Purpose Flour Artisan Blend
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 Tablespoon evaporated cane juice
- 1 Tablespoon ground flax seed mixed with 3 Tablespoon water (can use 1 egg or egg replacer)
- 2-4 Tablespoons water Filling:
- 1 (14 ounce) can full fat coconut milk, chilled
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch salt Topping:
- 1½ cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 4-5 strawberries, sliced
Preheat oven to 400°F. Whisk together Pamela's Artisan Flour Blend and salt in a medium bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together coconut oil, maple syrup, and the flax seed mixture. Add it to the dry ingredients. Mix well with a fork, adding some water, a little at a time, until the dough holds together, but is not sticky. Press into the bottom and up the sides of a 8- or 9-inch tart pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden. Let cool completely.
Drain and rinse the soaked cashews well. Place in a food processor or blender along with the maple syrup, lemon juice, vanilla, and salt. Pulse a few times. Open the can of coconut milk and scrape off the thick cream on top, leaving the clear liquid behind. You should have just about 1 cup of coconut cream. Add to the food processor or blender and puree until smooth and creamy. Pour into the cooled crust and place in fridge to set up.
To assemble: Arrange berries in a decorative pattern on top of the filling, gently pushing the berries a little bit into the filling so they stay put. Chill until ready to serve.
-The tart is easiest to cut when it has been refrigerated.
-Swap out other summer fruit for the berries.