No one will believe these perfectly flavored savory scones did not come from that little bakery . . .
- 1 bag Pamela's Biscuit & Scone Mix
- pinch cayenne
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup butter or butter alternative, cut in ½" pieces, well chilled
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, large
- ½ cup sharp cheddar, finely cubed
- ½ cup Swiss cheese, finely cubed
- 3 TBSP green onions, finely sliced
- ¼ cup finely chopped fennel
- 6 oz ham, finely diced
- cream or milk for brushing before baking (Optional)
Yield: 12 medium scones, or 6 giant scones (by not dividing the dough in half)
Place rack in top third of oven and pre-heat oven to 375°. In bowl of stand mixer, whisk together Biscuit & Scone Mix, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Using paddle attachment (or pastry blender), cut in butter until pea-sized crumbs are formed.
In a separate bowl, mix buttermilk, egg, cheeses, veggies and ham. Add this to the mixing bowl and mix until just incorporated.
Divide dough in half. Scoop half onto a piece of greased parchment or plastic wrap and gently form into a round, 1" to 1½" high. Cut with greased knife into 6 wedges and place on greased or parchment-covered cookie sheet. Repeat with other half of dough. Brush lightly with milk and sprinkle with a few large crystals or flakes of salt before baking. Bake 20 to 24 minutes until cracked and just starting to brown.
© Pamela's Products, Inc.