This is a delicious doughnut (donut), made using our Bread Mix. 2012 Recipe Contest Honorable Mention by Sandi B.
- 1/4 cup of Soy-Free Earth Balance (or butter if dairy is not a problem)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups So Delicious Coconut Nog (or dairy-free eggnog of choice)
- 4 cups Pamela's Bread Mix and Flour Blend (plus 1 to 2 cups for dusting)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp fresh grated nutmeg (or 1 tsp of the pre-ground stuff) GLAZE
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp fresh nutmeg
- 1 tsp light corn syrup
- warm water to make a pourable fondant consistency then thin with extra nog for dipping consistency
Yield: 12 doughnuts
Mix it all up. Dough will be incredibly sticky, just hang in there. Scrape out onto a well-floured piece of parchment. Dust with yet another layer of flour and roll until about a half inch thick. Cut out into desired shape (we use a circle cutter and a piping gun tip for the centers). Lay out the donuts on a floured parchment-lined sheet pan and refrigerate for at least a half hour.
Use a heavy-bottomed saute pan for frying. It takes about an inch of neutral oil. Heat to around 350°. Test with a donut hole: when it floats right back up to the top, sizzling at the edge, the oil is ready. They should only take a few minutes per side. Don't be worried if they look flat, like a big washer, when they're raw. They puff like mad in that oil!
Let cool a bit, then roll in powdered sugar or glaze to your heart's desire.
Chef's Note: The doughnuts cook QUICKLY so make sure you have a landing pad ready. Use a cooling rack over a layer of paper towels on a sheet pan. A "spider" scooper helps for fishing them out of the oil.
© Pamela's Products, Inc.