- 8 chicken tenders or 2 medium chicken breasts, about 1 pound total, rinsed and patted dry
- 4 eggs, large
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Large pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram or oregano
- 2 cups finely crumbled leftover Pamela’s Cornbread
- ½ cup Pamela’s All-Purpose Flour Artisan Blend
- 2 cups oil for frying, or enough to be about ½ inch deep in pan
If using chicken breasts, lay them flat and cut across the breast (not lengthwise), into strips ½ to ¾ inch wide.
In a wide, shallow bowl, beat eggs, salt, pepper, cayenne, smoked paprika, and marjoram with a fork until well blended. Put chicken pieces in egg mixture and let marinate 10 to 30 minutes. If needed, chicken can marinate longer in refrigerator.
In another wide, shallow bowl, mix together cornbread crumbs and flour.
Set a wire rack over a baking pan lined with parchment paper. Place pan in oven, ready for the fried chicken to drain and stay warm as you go. Preheat oven to 200°.
Pour oil ½ inch deep in a cast iron or heavy skillet and heat to 350°. Take a piece of chicken from egg batter, shake off excess and lay it in cornbread mixture to coat both sides with crumbs. Shake off excess crumbs and repeat with egg mixture followed by crumbs; shake off excess again and gently place chicken in hot oil. Cook completely, about 2 minutes per side, until golden and firm. Place on rack in warm oven to drain after cooking. Repeat process until all chicken is cooked, making sure not to crowd the pan while cooking for best results.
Serve with our dipping sauces.
NOTE: To make cornbread crumbs, use hands or food processor.
© Pamela's Products, Inc.