Red Velvet Pancakes
10-12 four-inch pancakes
Try these creative pancakes for breakfast with a colorful twist.
1 ½ cups Pamela's Baking & Pancake Mix
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup buttermilk or unsweetened chocolate almond milk with 1/2 tsp vinegar
- 1/4 sour cream or yogurt, dairy or non-dairy
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter or non-dairy alternative, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Optional:1 tsp to 1 tbsp red food coloring
- Optional: mini-chocolate chips
In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg, milk, sour cream, melted butter, food coloring, and vanilla. Add them together and beat until just combined. A few lumps are fine.
Heat a frying pan or griddle to medium high heat. When hot add butter or oil to grease, followed by a small scoop of batter, 2 to 4 tablespoons. You can add some mini-chocolate chips. Wait for the pancakes to bubble, flip and cook the other side for a minute or so. Enjoy!
Top with vanilla yogurt, sweetened raspberries and a few mini-chocolate chips. Can be made ahead and frozen until you need them. Heat two in the microwave oven for 30 to 45 seconds.
If you use 1 tablespoon of food coloring, you will have very bright pancake batter, but it will tone down when you cook them.