Enjoy this creative use of flavors baked into a delightful cake.
- 2¼ cups Pamela’s Baking & Pancake Mix
- 1 cup canned pumpkin (not pie filling)
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 TBSP butter, melted
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup (or ¼ cup molasses)
- ½ tsp maple extract (optional)
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground allspice Frosting:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature (soft)
- 2 TBSP butter
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 TBSP spiced rum or brandy
- 1½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground allspice (optional)
Preheat oven to 350°. Butter or spray a 9" round spring form pan, or parchment lined 9" square pan. Combine pumpkin, egg, butter, oil, salt, sugar, syrup, and extract in a large bowl until very smooth. Whisk together spices and Baking & Pancake Mix, add to wet ingredients, and mix until just combined (do not over mix). Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool almost completely before removing to wire rack or serving plate. Allow the cake to thoroughly cool before frosting generously.
Combine softened cream cheese, butter, and brown sugar and mix until smooth. Add powdered sugar, spices, vanilla, and rum or brandy, mix until very smooth.
Chef's Note: Warm the rum or brandy in a small sauce pan until alcohol burns off, and allow to cool before making the frosting, or the frosting will be a wee bit boozy, and a little softer in consistency.
© Pamela's Products, Inc.