Sweet and savory these little cutie bites make for a great entertaining. Serve as an appetizer or a dessert.
2010 Recipe Contest Runner Up Recipe by Margee B.
- 8 thick sliced applewood smoked bacon, cut into 1/2 inch crosswise pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup (plus 2 tablespoons) pure maple syrup
- 8 tsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 bag Pamela's Cornbread & Muffin Mix
- 1/3 cup minced green onion
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tsp chipotle flavored hot sauce
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted*
Yield: 48 muffins
Preheat oven to 375°. Spray 2 non-stick 24 mini muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray. In a large skillet, cook bacon stirring occasionally until crisp (about 12 minutes), and then transfer with slotted spoon onto paper towels to drain.
In a large bowl, whisk buttermilk, eggs, 1/4 cup maple syrup and butter. Stir in cornbread mix and green onion until blended. Stir in 3/4 of the bacon, reserving the rest for topping. Fill each muffin cup 3/4 full, and bake in oven until golden (about 10-12 minutes). Place muffin tins on wire rack to cool completely.
In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese, hot sauce and remaining 2 tablespoons maple syrup with mixer until smooth. Stir in remaining bacon and pecans. When muffins have cooled, spread cream cheese mixture over tops.
NOTE: to toast pecans, place in a small skillet over medium heat. Shake skillet often until pecans are golden all over (about 4 minutes). For a spicy kick add a little more chipotle hot sauce to the topping or batter.
© Pamela's Products, Inc.