This is chili and cornbread, all in one dish!
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 lg onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic (more to taste)
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 can (28 ounces) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (7 oz) diced green chilis
- 1 tsp hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 2 tsp dried oregano or 2 TBSP fresh
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper, or to taste
- 2 TBSP cornstarch CORNBREAD CRUST
- 1 bag Pamela's Cornbread & Muffin Mix
- 2 TBSP sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or butter substitute, melted
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (7 oz) Mexicorn, drained (Mexicorn is found in the canned-food aisle, or you can make your own combination of corn and diced sweet peppers)
Yield: 8-10 servings
Pre-heat oven to 375°F. Spray a deep dish casserole with non-stick cooking spray, set aside.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, sautéing several minutes until onions are translucent. Add beef, crumbling with your fingers and sauté until beef browns all over. Drain off excess liquid. Add tomatoes, kidney beans, chilis, hot sauce, oregano, salt and black pepper. Cover pan and reduce to a simmer. Allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes until thickened. Stirring occasionally. In last five minutes of cooking time, remove about 1/2 cup of cooking liquid and place in a small bowl with cornstarch. Whisk with a fork and pour over beef mixture. Stir until well incorporated.
In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine cornbread ingredients and stir until well combined. Add ground black pepper to taste, if desired.
Spoon beef mixture into casserole dish. Spoon cornbread mixture over beef in casserole, smoothing top with a spatula.
Bake in 375°F oven for 20-30 minutes, until cornbread mixture is set and golden colored. Allow to cool for 5 minutes and serve hot.
Chef's Note: Allow to cool completely and wrap tightly in aluminum foil for freezing. May be reheated in a conventional oven or microwave.