This stuffing, made with light and dark breads, fresh herbs, dried cherries and pecans, is truly something special for the holidays.
- ½ loaf Green Onion Bread
- ½ loaf Mock Rye Bread
- 10 TBSP butter
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1½ cups onion, finely chopped
- 1½ cups pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 cup dried cherries, plumped in hot water and separated
- 1½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 3 TBSP sage, finely chopped
- 3 TBSP oregano, finely chopped
- 3 TBSP thyme, finely chopped
- 9 cups total Pamela’s dried bread cubes (half loaf /4½ c. Mock Rye Bread and half loaf /4 ½ c. Green Onion Bread)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups chicken stock (or veggie)
- Chef’s Note: if using dried herbs use only one third (or less) as much as fresh.
TO DRY THE BREAD: Make the two loaves of bread ahead of time, cut half of each loaf into cubes and allow to dry in unheated oven for a couple of days until dry and crisp. If you don’t have time to make the bread cubes ahead of time; cut half of each loaf into ½ to ¾-inch cubes and bake on two sheet pans, in 300° oven, for 20 minutes, stir and continue baking, and stirring until dry and crisp, usually about 45 to 60 minutes.
TO MAKE THE STUFFING: Melt the butter in a large pan, add onions and celery and cook on medium low, until soft and opaque, about 15-20 minutes. Add the fresh herbs, salt, pepper and paprika, and cook about 2 minutes until fragrant. Allow to cool slightly.
Gently toss the bread cubes with cherries and pecans, add the eggs, toss thoroughly to mix. Add the onions and herbs, and toss thoroughly again, coating each cube with buttery goodness. Add a cup of broth and toss, then add the second cup of broth and toss. Add final cup of broth and toss one last time.
Stuff turkey and bake immediately, following instructions for baking the turkey. Or bake in a large, buttered baking dish with cover for about 45 minutes, until completely heated through and brown on the edges. If you like your stuffing a little dryer, remove cover for last 10 minutes.
© Pamela's Products, Inc.