Have fun making these ice cream sandwiches! Experiment with different ice cream flavors and coatings and enjoy!
- 1 box Pamela’s Crispy Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- 1 quart vanilla or chocolate ice cream
- 1.75 ounces chocolate sprinkles (optional)
- 10 ounces Ghirardelli Dark Melting Wafers or dark chocolate chips (optional)
- A few hours before you want to assemble the ice cream sandwiches, place the whole box of Crispy Chocolate Chunk Cookies in the freezer (even better overnight). This allows the sandwiches to be made without the cookies breaking. Line a rimmed sheet pan that will fit in your freezer with parchment paper and put in freezer as well to chill.
- TO ASSEMBLE THE SANDWICHES: Take ice cream out of the freezer and allow to soften on the counter 10 to 20 minutes, depending on how cold your freezer holds the ice cream. It should be soft enough to make a scoop fairly easily. Work with pairs of cookies; place one frozen cookie top side down, put a large rounded scoop of ice cream on top, add the second frozen cookie top side up, and gently squeeze the cookies together, until the ice cream fills the space between the cookies. Use your finger or small offset spatula to even out where there might be too much or not enough. Place each completed sandwich into freezer onto chilled sheet pan. Repeat, making 4 more sandwiches. Allow the sandwiches to harden up in the freezer for about 1 hour.
- FOR PLAIN SANDWICHES: Remove from freezer and wrap each sandwich separately in plastic wrap, wax paper, or parchment paper. After all are wrapped, place in a single layer in a freezer bag, and return to the freezer. Freeze at least 6 hours before serving.
© Pamela's Products, Inc.
Note: If doing the variations below, you will have leftover chocolate and sprinkles, but you need to start with the extra quantity so that the dipping will be uniform. We used some of the leftover chocolate to drizzle over Slice & Bake Peanut Butter Cookies and it was like a peanut butter cup. The leftover sprinkles can be returned to the original jar for future use.
TO DIP IN SPRINKLES: Place all the sprinkles in a small bowl. After forming sandwich and smoothing the edge of the ice cream layer, roll the edge of the ice cream in the sprinkles. Put in freezer for 1 hour, so the sprinkles don’t slump off with any melting ice cream, before wrapping as directed above.
TO DIP IN CHOCOLATE: Freeze the sandwiches well, about 8 hours, before dipping. Melt chocolate in chocolate pot, double boiler, or microwave following directions on the bag; thin with ½ teaspoon coconut or other vegetable oil if necessary; chocolate should be a little thinner than pudding consistency. Transfer chocolate to a warm (not cold) 2-cup measuring cup. Holding each sandwich between finger and thumb, dip halfway into the chocolate, let set up for a minute, and immediately return to the freezer, standing the sandwich up on the edge with no chocolate coating. Let chill at least 2 hours before wrapping and placing in freezer bag. Freeze about 6 hours before serving. Cookies will soften over time in the freezer.