Traditional Bread Stuffing
Complement your turkey with this gluten-free and dairy-free version of traditional bread stuffing.
10 cups of 1" dried bread cubes from a loaf of Pamela’s Amazing Bread
- 10 TBSP butter or butter substitute
- 6 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 TBSP sage
- 1 TBSP marjoram
- 1 TBSP thyme
- 2 tsp Savory (There is Summer Savory and Winter Savory, as well as creeping, African, Savory of Crete, etc. If you can't find Savory, a good substitute would be 1 tsp rosemary or 2 more tsp of thyme and/or oregano)
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 3 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Optional: 10 medium porcini mushrooms
- salt & pepper to taste
Melt the butter. Add celery and onions and cook until golden brown, about 18-20 minutes. Add the bay leaves and fresh herbs and cook about 2 minutes until fragrant. Discard bay leaves.
OPTIONAL: Sauté 10 medium sliced porcini mushrooms in 3 TBSP butter, and add to the herbs.
Add the cooked vegetables and herbs to a large bowl with the dried bread cubes, broth and eggs. Toss gently to combine.
Bake at 375° in a buttered dish covered with foil for 40 minutes and then remove foil and bake until top gets golden, about 20 minutes longer.